Drone "Community Edition"

The “Community Edition” of 1.x is noted to be Apache licensed, correct?

Will the Community Edition eventually be available on Docker Hub?

The “Developer Edition” which I’m assuming is different than the “Community Edition” lists:

Under 10,000 Builds per year

Which our 5 person team certainly exceeds.

I think overall the licensing situation / what is what needs clarification. There’s a lot of FUD circling the situation.

This bothers me quite a bit. Here is what I gathered on the topic:

• In a comment on 18th Dec, Brad summarized what the community edition is. “if you do not want to purchase a license you will have the option to build the community edition from source and use that, free of charge, with no limits.”
  • The Community Edition source will not contain Enterprise features: “We will combine the open source and enterprise code in the pubic repository, with the ability to build either the free or enterprise version from source”
  • He then later confirmed this in another comment: “And remember, it will be possible to build the Community Edition from source without limits. The Personal License described in this post is for qualifying individuals and small businesses that want to use the Enterprise features for free, without purchasing a license key. If you do not care about the Enterprise features, you can just use the Community Edition.”

This would be clear if there wasn’t a newer FAQ on Enterprise published on 20th February

• Here a new concept was introduced “The community edition is limited to a single machine installation”. Which matches the enterprise comparison matrix

Now this does not look good for multiple reasons:

• The “Under 10000 builds per yer” I feel is something new, as I have not seen it before
  • In 0.8 we were able to run agents, and only the autoscaler was part of the Enterprise version
  • The comparison matrix talks about Dev edition and not Community Edition. And certainly these limits constitutes for a Dev version as it is practically useless.
  • About two weeks ago a license change commits appeared in many Drone repos, like the Kubernetes scheduler. Previously it was Apache 2.0, now it is the Enterprise license.
  • This is less of importance and it’s probably early days, but as of now the oss version does not build at all go build -tags oss github.com/drone/drone/cmd/drone-server

I also believe the licenses question needs to be cleared now as I feel it is drifting, and while I could see multiple outcomes, I can imagine a Drone Dev/Community edition with limits that renders it useless.

Yeah,… I jumped off upgrading drone when it became closed source for a while (is it still?). I just cloned all sources so that I cab build the 0.x versions… The current state of licensing and distribution is too unclear and confusing for me to even considering upgrade to 1.x.

I see little update since my last comment:

@bradrydzewski pardon me if I’m a nuisance, but we need clarification on the Community Edition.

Does it still stand that the OSS version - that is built with -tags oss - will be usable under the Apache 2.0 license without any build number limitation?

Could you clarify what Community / Dev / Freemium editions mean?

^^^ :slight_smile: @bradrydzewski

The FAQ should help clarify any questions you have: Licensing and Subscription FAQ

Does it still stand that the OSS version - that is built with -tags oss - will be usable under the Apache 2.0 license without any build number limitation?

Yes. Usage limits are only enforced by the Enterprise Edition.

Could you clarify what Community / Dev / Freemium editions mean?

I would not focus too heavily on names because names change. We could in theory create multiple named versions of the Enterprise Edition with varying levels of support (Premium, Pro, Starter, etc). So instead of thinking in terms of product names, I would encourage thinking about the software in terms of build permutations:

1. Drone Enterprise Edition, official distribution, with annual build limits
  2. Drone Enterprise Edition, official distribution, no annual build limits, license file provided
  3. Drone Enterprise Edition, built from source, no annual build limits, using nolimit build tag
  4. Drone Open Source Edition, built from source, using the oss build tag

Please note that everything described above can be verified by looking at the source code and the LICENSE file. The source code and the LICENSE file should be considered the source of truth for how you can use the software.

I believe that’s @donatj’s point. The name changes are adding even more confusion to your chosen licensing scheme.

I’d like to also bring up the fact that when I started a thread asking for clarification on the licensing situation compared to previous statements you’ve made, you almost immediately marked the thread as private to prevent people from seeing it. You’ve also ignored my multiple requests to make it public again (here’s the thread for others if you finally change your mind https://discourse.drone.io/t/source-clarification/3888). I’m guessing that me bringing this up will cause you to privatize this thread (or just delete this comment), but I’m hoping that I’m wrong. You are free to run your company and your project how you see fit. But it’s disingenuous to label any of it community if people can’t ask respectful questions without being censored.

There is an Open Source Edition and an Enterprise Edition which I believe are descriptive of what we are offering and what we are committing to. I am happy to clarify licensing questions, as I have done above. If there is feedback on how the FAQ can be improved I am happy to refine as needed.

Sure. The problem is this information is scattered all over and at times conflicts with information in other places.

edit: added @tophattom’s point about Docker Hub

Also, for the fourth time, please make https://discourse.drone.io/t/source-clarification/3888 public again so others can participate in the respectful, interesting discussion taking place there.

@bradrydzewski Thanks for clarification

Carl got it.

I’d like to add that when - as a consultant - I pitch Drone for tech managers, they often don’t get further than the drone.io site which don’t mention Community Edition at all. They have to take my word for it that we can get started under Apache 2.0.

1. Drone Enterprise Edition, official distribution, with annual build limits
  2. Drone Enterprise Edition, official distribution, no annual build limits, license file provided
  3. Drone Enterprise Edition, built from source, no annual build limits, using nolimit build tag
  4. Drone Open Source Edition, built from source, using the oss build tag

I’m confused: Which one of these am I getting when using the drone/drone container from Docker Hub? Are there build limits in it or not?

Great point, I added that to my previous feedback list.

Relevant to this discussion, some of the tests for the Apache-licensed code are licensed under the Drone Non-Commercial license. I reported this, and @bradrydzewski closed and locked the issue, saying it would be worked on. The issue persists in the v1.0.0 tag, so I reported it again. That has been closed as well, and @bradrydzewski has stated that all the licenses are as he intends.

So drone has some open-source code, but you can’t test all that code with open-source tests. At this point I would say that drone is no longer an open-source project. It’s proprietary software that happens to have some files that are Apache-licensed. I’m sad to see it come to this point. The copr yum repository I’ve been maintaining will stay on 0.8, and I’ll probably delete it before too long.

If I build from source are build limits the only thing I am free of? What about user limits or the ability to use custom plugins? I just don’t know how much is locked down.

@iancullinane there are no user limits. You can build the enterprise edition from source using the nolimit build tag to remove the build limit. You can build the open source edition from source using the oss build tag (described in BULDING_OSS file in the repository) which does not have any limits.

So my understanding from the conversation thus far is that the “Community” or “Open Source” Edition needs to be compiled from source with a build tag, and thusly will not be on Docker Hub.

While I can certainly build my own with some work, is anyone interested in starting a community around the open source build to distribute the community version on Docker Hub?