Cloud deployment

Hi,

I’d like to try out Drone as a replacement for some legacy Jenkins CI servers. One issue I’m having is the requirement for my Drone instance to be publicly accessible for OAuth callbacks. Can anyone recommend a cloud provider where I could deploy Drone for free as a trial? I tried with Heroku, but the Drone images don’t seem to meet their requirements re port numbers and entrypoint/cmd.

I’m happy to run Drone locally using either Docker or bare metal, but I can’t expose the service to the outside world for security reasons. If there’s some way to run Drone without OAuth to GitHub - e.g. just with an API token - that would get me started.

Thanks!

Can anyone recommend a cloud provider where I could deploy Drone for free as a tria

You can run Drone on all the major cloud providers including google compute, amazon ec2, microsoft azure, digital ocean and more. I personally recommend Digital Ocean which has low server costs, ideal for testing and prototypes.

I tried with Heroku, but the Drone images don’t seem to meet their requirements

Heroku is not a supported environment because it runs applications inside limited sandboxes. Drone needs to launch Docker containers, which requires access to the host machine Docker daemon, which would not be supported in the Heroku sandbox.

Thanks, @brad, I threw up an instance using DO’s Docker “app”, it was pretty easy!

I used Heroku’s container runtime.